“Improving human health through service and therapy animals.”
Pet Partner Program
Pet Partners program trains and screens volunteers and their pets for visiting animal programs in hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, schools and other facilities.
The Pet Partners program was established in 1990, and it is the only national registry that requires volunteer training and screening of animal-handler teams. The required training and screening ensures that both people as well as animals are prepared to participate in animal-assisted activity and animal-assisted therapy programs. Animal-handler teams must repeat screening every two years.
Pet Partner’s national network links volunteers with facilities in their own communities that request visiting pets and helps Pet Partners contact facilities to begin visits in new locations. More information concerning Pet Partner membership can be found at www.petpartners.org
Interested in volunteering? Want more information? Contact us today!
Our Pet Partner evaluations are held at Cave Spring United Methodist Church in Roanoke, VA. The next evaluation is planned for Saturday March 25, 2023.
This is the evaluation required to become a new registered Therapy Dog Team or to renew your existing registration that expires every 2 years.
If you are an existing registered Pet Partners team, please check the expiration date on your badge to see if you need to test again. Per Pet Partners policy, the evaluation slots will be filled on a first come, first served basis.
Please use the instructions below to sign up for the event:
- Log in to the Pet Partners website with your email address and password. www.petpartners.org
- Click My Registrations.
- Click Start a new Application or Resume Your Application / Resume Your Renewal.
- Click Team Evaluation.
- Click the Schedule an Evaluation button. This will take you to the Training Center.
- Select Sign Up.
- Select Handler.
- Select Evaluations.
- Click By Location.
- Scroll down to your preferred location.
- Click the tiny arrow next to Available Classes.
- Choose your preferred date and click Register.
- Review the details for the event and click Register.
- Click the Check Out button in your cart and wait for a confirmation message that you successfully signed up.
Please note, Both existing and new teams will have to complete an online handlers course and bring a copy of the Completion Certificate to your evaluation.
If you have problems signing up for the evaluation and/or handlers course you will need to contact Pet Partners directly. Therapets do not have access to the Pet Partners system.
Paul Henegar, email@example.com
Therapets of the Roanoke Valley Evaluation Coordinator / Board Member.
Licensed Pet Partner Evaluator.